Saturday, September 13, 2008

Saving My Heirlooms From A Disaster

Julie Cahill Tar at Genblog has a meme going about family heirlooms. She asks what heirlooms you would save in the event of a disaster and why.

These are the family heirlooms I would save:

1. The Family Photo Albums
The first thing I would save in the event of a disaster is the family photos. My children's baby albums and school albums, as well as the 'regular' family albums. Fortunately my photos are either in archival quality photo albums, archival quality storage containers or are my computer (which I have backed up!). I can scoop and run! My family photos are very precious to me.

2. My Family History
All of my family history binders containing family group sheets, copies of records, notes, etc. Even though I have all of this on my computer, I would still grab it.

3. Grandpa George's Pencil Drawings
The second set of items I would save are the five pencil drawings by my grandfather, Joseph Brinley George. They were likely drawn before 1923 when he was still living in Wales. There are irreplaceable. I am in the process of making multiple copies each as backup and to share with other relatives.

Girl & Boy Pencil Drawing by Joseph Brinley George circa 1922, Llanstadwell, Pembrokeshire, Wales. Digital Image. Privately held by Kathryn Lake Hogan UE, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Windsor, Ontario, Canada. 2008.


4. Grandma and Grandpa George's Silver
This beautiful set of silver was given to my grandparents, Joseph Brinley George and Dorothy May Evans as a wedding gift. We used this silver at all of our family holidays and celebrations at Grandma and Grandpa's house when I was a child. It has great sentimental value to me.

5. The Royal Albert China
This is a set of Royal Albert Crown China tea cups and saucers, sugar bowl and creamer. The pattern is Heirloom 4534. It belonged to my Grandma George. The set was passed onto my mother, and now it belongs to me. The Royal Albert has always been a favourite with me since I was a little girl.


Should we ever need to evacuate, I hope all of this would fit into my vehicle with room left for the family and the dog!